LC Server style survey: co-mingle code w/HTML?

Rick Harrison harrison at all-auctions.com
Wed Dec 6 15:18:21 EST 2017

Hi Richard,

> You use Wordpress.

After exploring Wordpress a couple of years ago I decided not use Wordpress.
I do not use Wordpress.

> I use Drupal.  Someone else uses Joomla.  Then there's the vast range of other things people can add to their account.

Yes, many people use different tools as we all do.

> Web hosting is a very difficult business, which is why we've seen so much consolidation over the years.

No one said Web hosting was an easy business,
but it needs to be become better.  No company should
threaten it’s users to do XYZ upgrade or suffer the
loss of their accounts.  If it is that important, then the
company should make the upgrade process very
simple or automatic, or not offer that particular piece
of software if it is so vulnerable that it threatens the
security of the entire system.

I objected to the fact that Run-Rev hyped Wordpress to
it’s On-Rev users, and after encouraging them to
snap it up, then later slapped them. If you
don’t monitor Wordpress closely to be sure it is
always up to date, then you lose your account!
(That’s just not a good way to conduct business,
and I’m glad that I personally didn’t fall into that trap.)

When On-Rev was first introduced, the impression given
about the service to users was that it was indeed going to
be a highly managed service.  That has not turned out to
be the case clearly as you and Simon have pointed out.
(I think a bunch of people may have been disappointed to learn
the truth of that matter as it has played out over the years.)

The result for me as a user of On-Rev is that I only use it
for small websites that I don’t have a large investment of
money, time or energy in.  It has proven to be an
undependable platform for me. Now I run all of my
own important servers, which are dependable.
I upgrade them, and keep them secure at all times.

Thanks for the lively discussion!

Cheers,

Rick