Map Widget Futures

Sannyasin Brahmanathaswami brahma at hindu.org
Wed Dec 6 10:07:00 EST 2017

I'm not sure if the news from LiveCode Global is under any kind of NDA… Since I have a business license, we could pose this directly to HQ, but seems useful to share.. hope that is OK and I have this quesiton

What is the binary format of the map "object" that the engine or map widget can now pan and zoom?

Put another way: could we create our own giant SVG maps, with tools, for example like OmniGraffle or Diagrammix and then run these as "maps" inside the new widget. Or is this tech somehow locked into conventional geographical map formats of some kind?

Of course we can build those and show them inside a browser widget, but dealing with hotspots requires messing with JS and the chasm/issues between the JS in the browser widget and the stack-LC engine message path is still huge and problematic (discussed at length elsewhere) So if the new map widget is a member of the msg path in "proper standing" that will be excellent.

BR