Bad Crash on Attempt to Group Radio Buttons

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Sun Aug 27 19:49:26 EDT 2017

Mark Wieder wrote:
> On 08/27/2017 01:42 PM, Marty Knapp via use-livecode wrote:
>> I use this feature extensively in an app where there is card that has
>> objects that users can select to change properties (line width, color,
>> font, etc) and at the top of the window is a toolbar with font menu,
>> etc. I don't want the user to be able to select the toolbar controls and
>> accidentally delete them or alter them, so I use the cantSelect property
>> on those.
>
> So you put the user in development mode? Sounds dangerous.

Drawing != development.

MacDraw != MPW.

 From the root tongue HyperTalk, through SuperTalk, OMO, Gain, to
today's LiveCode, xTalks provide a wide range of tools, including
button, field, browse, and others.

What distinguishes these from development isn't that they're used at
all, but how.

After all, all code editors are fields, but not all fields are code editors.

> On 08/27/2017 01:36 PM, Monte Goulding via use-livecode wrote:
>
>> I have used cantSelect before to stop selection of a background image that has lots of objects on top. It means you can drag select them and won’t accidentally click-drag and move your background. It’s better than lockLocation because of drag-select.
>
> Thanks. That makes sense. Kind of like having editable and non-editable
> layers.

Now you got it.  Having different tools has been useful since
HyperCard's premier in 1987, and with LC's richer toolset only more so.

Monte's particular use, however, is compromised by not having a true
cantSelect property, instead getting by with one that's really a
control-specific tool mode, but limited to only those controls that
aren't groups and to only one tool, the browse tool:

In the scenario he describes, the presence of an object that spans the
drawing region but has it's AlwaysBrowse ("cantSelect") set to true
means that he can't drag across it to marquee-select other objects.

In such a setup (I've made a few myself over the years) you must either
limit multi-object selections to shift-clicking each one individually,
or write code that emulates marquee selection in the image object using
the browse tool.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems