Search Values of Array in "One Go"

Bob Sneidar bobsneidar at iotecdigital.com
Thu Aug 24 13:50:23 EDT 2017

I mentioned a few years ago when arrays first were introduced that there ought to be an engine based way to seach arrays for values, returning matching key references (not just one but ALL). If you are only interested in certain keys you could then filter the results.

To make this fast for large arrays, you might have to have a way to index the arrays, but now we are talking about a memory based database system, and I am not sure Livecode arrays are the way to go. It may be enough to be able to do a kind of full text search on an array in memory.

I suppose thinking about it you could arrayencode an array then do a search on it, but I am not sure how you would discern the array keys. I'll have to look at the encoded format. At that point if that approach worked, the only advantage to searching a memory based array is you would be skipping the encoding step, and searching the actual array in memory with the engine might be considerably faster than having LC search a text variable.

I'll play around with it to see what I can come up with.

Bob S