Sending a message to users that floats above everything

Stephen MacLean smaclean at madmansoft.com
Thu Aug 24 01:22:54 EDT 2017

> On Aug 24, 2017, at 12:00 AM, J. Landman Gay via use-livecode <use-livecode at lists.runrev.com> wrote:
>
> On 8/23/17 10:27 PM, Stephen MacLean via use-livecode wrote:
>> Only about ~15% of Android devices are at anywhere near a recent patch level or current OS version.
>> Android, locked down like iOS (store only apps, current OS version, no - cheap knock offs, stock only OS, etc, etc.) may be close to be being as safe, but you’ve just removed the majority of Android devices from the equation. Now look at market share, and it’s a totally different percentage. Remember, stock Android is only available on a Google “made" device. All others have a manufacturers version of Android, that may not even be the latest version of Android and/or with features that may open security holes.
>
> Very true. Google knows about this and that's why it now puts Google Play Services on every device, which is the app that manages security among other things. That doesn't mean that manufacturers can't punch holes in the OS, but Google is now scanning and managing security for all devices that can access the Play Store. It updates in the background much as OS X does.
>
> I suspect the list is getting tired of this discussion so I'll stop, but the main point I think Richard and I are trying to make is a response to Bob's original comment -- that Android is as safe or safer than iOS, so security concerns aren't a good reason to dismiss this very competent OS.

Thank you for your comments and I do agree, the current version of stock Android is around as safe as the current version of iOS.

My point was that unfortunately that only means ~15% of currently active Android devices are fairly safe and Bob’s comment, while brief, was fair as far as it was concerned. Once Android hits iOS’s ~85% active devices on latest version of the os, then it wouldn’t be. I just don’t think that will happen anytime soon because of the way the OS is rolled out through 3rd parties for the most part.

While I don’t like Google having the ability to access my device, remove software and manage my security, it’s a huge leap forward for the Android world and much better than the way it was.

Regardless, I’m not advocating for one or the other. And I don’t think anyone should dismiss Android, Oreo is better than “very competent” :)

Best,

Steve MacLean