notifications system using "the files"? bad idea?

Paul Dupuis paul at researchware.com
Wed Aug 23 16:40:40 EDT 2017

On 8/23/2017 4:25 PM, Tom Glod via use-livecode wrote:
> Hi folks, I'm building a notification system....and I don't want to add
> another DB query to the system....so my idea is to save notifications as a
> file in a folder, and the just read and process "the files" ....
>
> so the name of the file would contain the notification data.... i wouldn't
> have to read each file, just the list of files in the folder.
>
> hoping to save some network traffic that way.
>
> am I gonna regret this?...hit some kind of OS bottleneck?..... anybody have
> any ideas why this would be a bad idea?
>
> we build for all 3 desktop platforms.
>
> Thanks for any thoughts.

Are the notifications (i.e the file names) preset? Or user entered. If
user entered, realize that there are issues with converting file names
across platforms. Linux, OSX, and Window have different reserved
characters and file name standards, as well as different support for
Unicode or high-ASCII characters. If all you messages are basic ASCII
characters and under about 250 characters in length, you should be fine.