Search Values of Array in "One Go"

Alex Tweedly alex at tweedly.net
Wed Aug 23 15:06:07 EDT 2017

I'm not going to disagree with the other replies ....

Plan A.   use your database

Plan B.   create an in-memory SQLite database.

Plan C. use an array, kind of like you are doing.

And *only* if there are good reasons for not doing Plans A or B, then :

C1.  Instead of

repeat for each key x in aPlaylist
        repeat for each key y in aPlayList[x]

do

repeat for each key x in aPlaylist
        repeat for each element ey in aPlayList[x]

Also, instead of
     put aPlayList[x] into aFilteredPlayList[z]

do
     put x into aFilteredPlayListIndex[z]
(there's no need to replicate all the data when the array will continue to exist, just keep the indices you want).

C2. Did you really mean "check *all* columns in the array" ?
Should it not be "check all the 'properties' columns" ?
If so - that's another reason to use a/the database :-)

C3. Create an 'allproperties' column ?
There's probably a fast/easy way to do that either in the database, or as you extract from it - but a database expert would have to tell us how to do that.

Alternatively, when you extract, just do

repeat for each key x in aPlayList
   repeat for each item y in thePropertyColumns
       put aPlayList[x][y] & SPACE after aPlayList[x]["allproperties"]
   end repeat
end repeat

or, delay this until first search :

repeat for each key x in aPlayList
    if aPlayList[x]["allproperties"] is empty then
       repeat for each item y in thePropertyColumns
           put aPlayList[x][y] & SPACE after aPlayList[x]["allproperties"]
       end repeat
       if aPlayList[x]["allproperties"] is empty then -- so that subsequent searches never rebuild this
         put SPACE into aPlayList[x]["allproperties"]
       end if
    end if
    if aPlayList[x]["allproperties"] contains pFilterPattern then
      put x & CR after z
    end if
end repeat

Alex.