[OT] Draconian computer company policies, was: Mobile LC Apps Downloading Stacks After installation

Mark Wieder ahsoftware at sonic.net
Fri Aug 11 18:00:42 EDT 2017

On 08/11/2017 01:44 PM, J. Landman Gay via use-livecode wrote:

> At the risk of starting a platform war.

<diving in>

No platform war on my part. I hate operating systems. Linux comes
closest to what I want because I can configure it, it (mostly) doesn't
keep dumbing down the interface and (mostly) doesn't try to tell me what
I can have or try to be more in touch with what I want than I am.

> searches I just don't use Chrome.) Android Now is close to psychic,
> volunteering information I want without my asking. I walked out of a
> theater one night and Android offered a map showing me where I'd parked.
> I didn't have to ask, it was just there. You can turn off these things
> but I find them useful. If you don't want Google to know where you are,
> turn off location services.

The scary part of that, of course, is that (Google in this case, but
feel free to insert whatever mobile OS or government agency you want)
knows exactly where you are.

--
  Mark Wieder
  ahsoftware at gmail.com