Speed of control lookup (Was Re: Parent of Target)

Monte Goulding monte at appisle.net
Fri Aug 11 17:58:40 EDT 2017

> On 12 Aug 2017, at 1:23 am, Mark Waddingham via use-livecode <use-livecode at lists.runrev.com> wrote:
>
> It has also suggested (to me, at least) a slightly different approach - we make the return value of the 'long id' property of objects what you might call a StringyLongId value. Instead of returning a string:
>
>  button id 1003 of group id 1004 of card id 1002 of stack "MyStackName"
>
> It would be a value which acts like a string, but internally stores:
>
>    [ BUTTON, 1003, [ 1004 ], 1002, "MyStackName" ]

Hmm… Would it be a good idea to create a new ID form with the bare minimum to identify an object. Say:

That would mean speed improvements could be done on an object reference that is relatively robust to changes in the object tree and unless you are creating an IDE you would be very unlikely to need to do the LCB object reference repository thing.

Cheers

Monte