[OT] Draconian computer company policies, was: Mobile LC Apps Downloading Stacks After installation

Roger Eller roger.e.eller at sealedair.com
Fri Aug 11 17:55:25 EDT 2017

I recently heard that Apple is planning a revolutionary smartwatch which
has calling functions built-in.  Seriously, no need to carry a phone!

Now Google it and see how many of these have existed for several years.
Revolutionary idea stealin' bunch!  lol

~Roger

On Aug 11, 2017 4:44 PM, "J. Landman Gay via use-livecode" <

On 8/11/17 10:51 AM, Dr. Hawkins via use-livecode wrote:

> I'd be tempted to switch to an android (I actually had the original
> gphone), but the privacy, hacks, and whathaveyou stop me.

At the risk of starting a platform war...

<proselytize>

I love my Mac but I don't like iOS. It's too dumbed down to be useful.
Android has many advantages over iOS, the main one being that it has an
accessible file system like the Mac Finder (which I see iOS is about to
implement finally.) Not to mention launcher widgets, which I can't live
without, dozens of different launcher app options, and the ability to
customize almost anything the phone can do. It has menus and tooltips so
you don't have to memorize obscure gestures. Android Assistant is more
intelligent than Siri. Google provides unlimited photo storage without data
caps and uses intelligent algorithms to find photos without the need for
content tagging.

There are multiple apps for any purpose so you aren't required to use a
single authorized browser, email client, or anything else. I have three
browsers on my phone and four keyboards for different purposes. I had to
laugh when Apple finally allowed third-party keyboards. It's a start. (Try
SwiftKey, its prediction algorithms are the smartest anywhere and it is now
available for iOS.)

While Android malware is somewhat more prevalent than iOS, the actual risks
are exaggerated. Google has taken aggressive steps to reduce occurances,
which is only a tiny fraction of one percent anyway. There are nine layers
of security checks for every app you install. If you stick to the
authorized app stores you won't have trouble since almost all malware comes
from third-party downloads. Android also scans your apps in the background
even if you didn't download from their store, and recently added a manual
scan so you can check on demand. I've had 8 Android devices over the years
and never had any malware.

Privacy: Google gives you more control than Apple. You can delete all or
part of the data it stores at any time. You can control what it collects.
The trade-off, in my view, is worth the data collection. (One advantage of
multiple browsers is when I don't want Google to track my searches I just
don't use Chrome.) Android Now is close to psychic, volunteering
information I want without my asking. I walked out of a theater one night
and Android offered a map showing me where I'd parked. I didn't have to
ask, it was just there. You can turn off these things but I find them
useful. If you don't want Google to know where you are, turn off location
services.

I see Google as the pioneer that Apple used to be, and in fact, Apple has
started adopting popular Android features and claiming them as their own
(Windows 1.0 anyone?) Most of the upcoming iOS 11 features Apple is
bragging about incorporate Android features, most of which have been around
for years:

Notification system, document scanning, Finder-like file system, drag and
drop files to local storage or cloud services, language translations,
System UI Tuner ("customizable control center",) advanced camera control
apps, Android Beam ("AirDrop"), app drawer, customizable Do Not Disturb,
peer-to-peer Android Pay/Wallet ("Apple Pay",) Swapps ("persistent Dock".)
Apple says Siri now learns from you and syncs across devices. Android has
always done that.

Etc.

</proselytize>

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com