Bug 20255 - Simple Loop Labeling

Mark Waddingham mark at livecode.com
Fri Aug 11 11:50:30 EDT 2017

On 2017-08-11 17:40, Mark Wieder via use-livecode wrote:
> On 08/11/2017 02:51 AM, Mark Waddingham via use-livecode wrote:
>
>> Naming loops in a syntactic way certainly sounds like a useful thing
>> to do:
>
> I should point out here that Robert Cailliau has complained about the
> lack of named loops as one of the main deficiencies of LiveCode for
> some ten years now.

I know - it has come up numerous times. I wasn't presenting it as a new
idea - because it most certainly isn't (although it isn't all that
common, when you look across the vast range of programming languages
which do exist...)

Robert has also suggested a 'with' construct, allowing quotes in quoted
strings (I think his suggestion is "") and probably many other things
(he did a talk many years ago which listed quite a few...)

The reality is though, as there has never been a truly concrete proposal
for any of those which take into account all the constraints of the
current implementation - they aren't likely to happen until someone
actually has some 'time' to do the necessary thinking that is required
to turn them from a theoretical notion, to an implementable
specification aligned with what could actually be done.

As the topic of naming of loops came up (admittedly from a different
point of view) it seemed useful to garner some more detail on the idea -
since it was on quite a few people's minds :)

Warmest Regards,

Mark.

LiveCode: Everyone can create apps