[OT] Draconian computer company policies, was: Mobile LC Apps Downloading Stacks After installation

Mark Waddingham mark at livecode.com
Fri Aug 11 11:44:55 EDT 2017

On 2017-08-11 16:44, Richmond Mathewson via use-livecode wrote:
> I cannot quite see how people are prepared to go on buying Apple iPads
> when
> there are such draconian restrictions as to what one can run on them.
>
> While the Android "thing" may not be much better, at last one can
> side-load almost anything one wants.

One can on iOS too - if you want to Jailbreak your device. Or, indeed,
if you have a Apple dev account (which I believe are now free until you
want to submit an app - someone please correct me if I'm wrong) you can
put on it whatever you like.

> There is a whole world of difference between a set of actions one
> cannot do because of the
> physical limitations of a thing and a set of actions one is not
> allowed to do because a bunch of people
> in California want to carry on mucking you around even after they ahve
> successfully manipulated you into buying their
> over-priced product.

That might be true - but as much as these restrictions *might* be
because the vendors 'want complete control of their walled garden to
scalp us for cash', I honestly do think it is much more about ensuring
these devices are *safe* for people to use in regards to all the very
critical information we tend to hold on our devices.

It is important to remember that the majority of people who use mobile
phones, tablets and computers use them like they do their car or washing
machine. They have little interest in how the thing works, just that it
does what they need to - does it well and does it safely.

Sure some people complain about seat-belts and speed limits but the
reality is that those *legally enforceable requirements* make the roads
a great deal safer for everyone.

Warmest Regards,

Mark.

LiveCode: Everyone can create apps