Mobile LC Apps Downloading Stacks After installation

Mark Waddingham mark at livecode.com
Fri Aug 11 11:31:24 EDT 2017

On 2017-08-11 16:35, Mike Kerner via use-livecode wrote:
> Unless I read your post incorrectly, mark, "Do" works just fine, at
> least

Yes it does - the point I was making was that breaking the rules in the
App Store could end up with us having to restrict what the LiveCode
engine can do when being run in an App Store Installed environment to
ensure that we aren't blocked from said App Store. The blunt instrument
would be not allowing *any* dynamic code execution (which is essentially
what Apple *did* do for a while in 2010).

> The sideloading/bootstrapping capabilities in LC are a fantastic way to
> work on corporate apps, force updates, and save everyone time and
> hassle.

What happens inside corporations within the Enterprise schemes the App
Stores have is not the issue here. There you can do whatever you like -
within what the IT departments allow, at least.

This is the consumer facing App Store(s) which have these restrictions.
Primarily to protect people who don't want to have to understand all the
details of the risks involved with having hugely powerful computational
devices in their pockets which can download and run code provided by
(what are, in reality) very loosely vetted
organisations/businesses/individuals. Particularly when those
computational devices also tend to store their entire 'lives' (in terms
of personal details, financial details, contacts, etc.).

Warmest Regards,

Mark.

LiveCode: Everyone can create apps