common code patterns

Devin Asay devin_asay at byu.edu
Thu Aug 10 20:53:58 EDT 2017

I’d like to see one like this for conditional structures:

if <condition> then
  -- do if true
else
  -- do if false
end if

I always try to use the “full” form of if-then-else. It solves lots of confusion when you end up with nested if-thens. I teach my students to do it this way as best practice, and I think it reinforces the idea of a completely formed and terminated structure.

Devin