Parent of Target

Mark Waddingham mark at livecode.com
Thu Aug 10 03:57:49 EDT 2017

On 2017-08-09 05:39, Sannyasin Brahmanathaswami via use-livecode wrote:
> The more we separate our code/libraries/behaviors from the binary UI,
> the more I find myself trying to dispatch call backs or other messages
> back to the group/card/stack that has a behavior and not the
> individual control: widget/button/field on the card itself, whose job
> was simply to intercept a mouse event and server as the target in
> higher switch.  So you need to get the long ID

I'm not sure I follow the underlying reasoning here - why not just use
'the long id of the target'?*

The message path means that the message will hit the group/card/stack if
not handled in the control (which it won't be, from what you are
saying).

Warmest Regards,

Mark.

* This is the model used in the engine (e.g. for sockets), and in LCB
widgets (which post a message to the script of the widget, which then
filters down the message path in the usual way).

LiveCode: Everyone can create apps