Parent of Target

Mark Wieder ahsoftware at sonic.net
Wed Aug 9 21:42:01 EDT 2017

On 08/09/2017 06:24 PM, Sannyasin Brahmanathaswami via use-livecode wrote:

> local sCurrentFlavorA
>
> function returnCurrentFlavor
>     put sCurrentFlavorA["fruit"]
> end  returnCurrentFlavor
>
> So now, with debug on you can trace easily where things are happening.  so some way to track, not only "where did this come from" (which is what debug stepping is really doing) but to look "up"   "Who is asking?"
> would be interesting.

I do use getter and setter routines regularly. I think your function is
useful, but won't by itself get at the question of "who changed that?",
and for that question there are at least two possible methods:

method 1:

local sCurrentFlavorA

command setCurrentFruitFlavorTo pFlavor
   put pFlavor into sCurrentFlavor["fruit"]
end setCurrentFruitFlavorTo

setCurrentFruitFlavorTo "orange"

method 2:

setProp CurrentFruitFlavor pFlavor
   put pFlavor into sCurrentFlavor["fruit"]
end CurrentFruitFlavor

getProp CurrentFruitFlavor
   return sCurrentFlavor["fruit"]
end CurrentFruitFlavor

set the CurrentFruitFlavor of me to "orange"
get the CurrentFruitFlavor of me

By placing breakpoints into either of these methods you can track what
sets the values in the debugger, or by placing logging statements into
either you can display the stack traces as they fly by:

   put pFlavor into sCurrentFlavor["fruit"]
   put the executionContexts & cr after msg

--
  Mark Wieder
  ahsoftware at gmail.com