Parent of Target

Monte Goulding monte at appisle.net
Wed Aug 9 18:05:39 EDT 2017

> On 10 Aug 2017, at 7:17 am, Mark Wieder via use-livecode <use-livecode at lists.runrev.com> wrote:
>
> ...and then...
> we could name them 'pointers' and 'handles' and I'd be very happy.
> <g>

Ha… one of the reasons I thought about overloading long ID is because pointer and handle aren’t very LiveCode… Maybe reference:

get the reference of <object>

Using such a reference to a deleted object would need to throw an error I think.

People would need to understand that you couldn’t use such references in delimited lists. So if you wanted a list of object references you would need to use an array.

FWIW the ScriptObject in LCB is basically what I’m talking about but as a regular script value type.

Cheers

Monte