how to get the value of a custom property if the name of the cProperty is in a variable?

Mark Waddingham mark at livecode.com
Tue Aug 8 07:03:25 EDT 2017

On 2017-08-08 12:43, hh via use-livecode wrote:
> Two examples for testing ambiguity.
>
> [a]
>   set "8.1" of me to "I dreamt to be quoted"
>   set 8.1 of me to "I dreamt to be 8.2"
>   put the customProperties of me into cp
>   put cp["8.1"] &" : "& cp[8.1] &" : "& cp[8+1/10]
> Test and then interchange the first two lines and test again.
>
> [b]
>   set "G&T" of me to "I dreamt to be geometry and trigonometry"
>   put the customProperties of me into cp
>   put cp["G&T"]

So this does work as 'expected' currently. i.e. You can use a quoted or
unquoted literal for a custom property name, and it will use the literal
appropriately.

What doesn't work at the moment is if you have a var name which is
quoted:

   local catness
   put "minimal" into catness
   set the "catness" of me to "very much"
   get the customProperties of me
   put the keys of it

Will result in a key 'minimal' and *not* 'catness' - which is perhaps
not what would be expected.

Warmest Regards,

Mark.

LiveCode: Everyone can create apps