Sorting out the sheep from the goats

Richmond Mathewson richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Mon Aug 7 13:42:35 EDT 2017

Yes, here's "Mr Sanskrit" asking what is probably a very goofy question
indeed:

I have a series of long strings of characters such as:

LarrygubAndCheesemakemyfeetstink

and I would like a happy little routine that could trot along each
string and, for each character (and this is ONLY confined
to the Latin alphabet, at the moment) tell me (or, more importantly,
other scripts) whether it is a VOWEL or a CONSONANT.

Of course, having learnt from Mark Waddingham about the effective nature
of G & T s, I may end up answering my own e-mail . . .

Thanks Mark, I knew you had more to tell me than "just" computer
programming :-)

Richmond.