Taking quotes on building LC external for RethinkDB

Mark Wieder ahsoftware at sonic.net
Mon Aug 7 00:10:12 EDT 2017

On 08/06/2017 05:20 PM, Alex Tweedly via use-livecode wrote:

>> If so, do you plan on connecting the DB directly to the open Internet,
>> or use a middleware supplying a REST API for clients?
>>
> i would presume not. The USP of RethinkDB (at least from my very quick
> skim over the website :-) was the 'push' notification of updates to the
> clients - which would be lost if you used a 'traditional' REST API from
> the end-clients to a server.

Interesting. My take on that is that since it requires an open
connection to the database in order for the notifications to happen,
it's more like a pubsub sort of approach. Which is still a nice touch,
but it seems like it requires either a direct connection to the db or a
callback mechanism. And that is also from a very quick skim of that
section of the docs.

--
  Mark Wieder
  ahsoftware at gmail.com