how to get the value of a custom property if the name of the cProperty is in a variable?

Dr. Hawkins dochawk at gmail.com
Thu Aug 3 11:18:39 EDT 2017

On Wed, Aug 2, 2017 at 8:39 PM, Monte Goulding via use-livecode <

> Er… why if you know the name wouldn’t you type it unquoted? Are you really
> suggesting to put any expression there? The property/function ambiguity
> with `the` will make our heads explode!

If I have a variable "propertyZ", then under current code I *cannot* use

   set the propertyZ of theThing to 7

to affect the custom property named propertyZ.  Allowing quotes would solve
this.

In my case, I hit this in a "metaprocedure" that runs in development to
enforce consistency, find variable fields, and whathaveyou, and separately
came to the same "natural" name for both a variable and a customproperty,
leading to significant debugging until I figured out why it wasn't working.

--
Dr. Richard E. Hawkins, Esq.
(702) 508-8462