Will LiveCode run an x86 android device?

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Sat Apr 29 11:13:08 EDT 2017

Richmond Mathewson wrote:

 > I wasn't suggesting a version of the development IDE for x86 Android
. . .

 > On 4/29/17 12:05 am, J. Landman Gay via use-livecode wrote:
 >> On 4/28/17 3:03 PM, Richmond Mathewson via use-livecode wrote:
 >>> Isn't Android a type of Linux?
 >>>
 >>> Arguably a Linux standalone should work better on x86 Android devices
 >>> . . .
 >>>
 >>> So; here's LiveCode's next headache:
 >>>
 >>> How to build a Linux standalone which can be installed on an x86
Android
 >>> device.
 >>
 >> Mobile limitations are fairly severe, and most of the IDE tools
 >> wouldn't work.
 >
 > That's not what I meant: I meant the ability to hive off standalones
 > that would run natively
 > on x86 Android.

There's more to Linux than the kernel.

The LC engine for Linux has fewer dependencies than most (it amazes me
just how deeply reliant some apps are on very specific system
configurations), but it does expect a reasonable baseline of GDK and
other elements found on nearly all Linux desktop systems, which I don't
believe are part of Android.

So while we can build for a very wide range of Linux distros, Android is
Linux-based (as in, it uses the kernel and a handful of other packages)
but is not a Linux distro per se.

I don't believe Android includes what the LC engine expects to find in
order to run.

I had thought one of the reasons Android uses the Dalvik and ART VMs is
because they're VMs, separating the APIs from processor architectures.

If so, then the LC engine for Android is bytecode rather than machine
code, and as such should run on either processor architecture, no?

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems