Swiping between cards - metaphor end-of-the-road?

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Thu Apr 27 13:30:23 EDT 2017

Matt Maier wrote:

 > Maybe each card could have a parameter like "swipeTo" which would be
 > the id of another card. Default could be nothing, which would disable
 > swipe. But if there's a card id in there then swiping would put that
 > card "underneath" so it's visible as the current card moves and if
 > the swipe gesture completes the stack moves to that new card.
 >
 > The swipe gesture might be just a scroll that's handled as a swipe
 > when the card can't scroll in that direction. Like if you swipe
 > up/down the content scrolls, but if you swipe left/right, since
 > there's no scroll in that direction, you get a swipe to another card.

I like where you're going with that.  But it also suggests other options
that would be useful, more stuff to think over before submitting a request.

Rather than a single swipeDestination property to designate which card
we go to during a swipte, ideally we'd want that for each of the four
cardinal directions, e.g. swipeLeftDestination, swipeTopDestination, etc.

Also, it would be nice to be able to specify the origin threshold, since
sometimes we'd want to initiate a drag from any part of the card and
other times only from a certain edge.

Hmmm...not so simple once we dive into the full range of use-cases, but
I do think it's worth exploring this here because it would be SOOOOO
much simpler to use LC's card metaphor for modern apps if we had more
fluid transition capabilities.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems