Make numberFormat even better

William Prothero waprothero at gmail.com
Tue Apr 25 14:47:22 EDT 2017

Sorry Roger. I didn’t mean to open a debate on whether English-like syntax is good or bad. Just to make a point about doing coding gymnastics to follow a viewpoint, that actually makes things more complex. I think that all of us who start with LiveCode get hooked, then learn more by discussing and reading the docs. For some applications we really need to burrow down to details of the engine that can’t be automatically take care of without understanding them. There is a tendency for those who already have learned something to see it as simple. But I think you need to really watch the newbies and their thought processes to really determine how easy it is to get started in livecode. Richmond is probably the most expert because of his work in teaching young learners.

I don’t see that simply declaring (optionally) that you want a variable to be an integer, a real, or whatever, actually violates the spirit of the language. To me, it seems like some folks are interested in doing numerical computations that exceed the scope of what now exists. For example, the computation of prime numbers. Others focus more on applications that are not heavily numerical and the current situation is fine. Although I personally may prefer other syntaxes, my suggestion was only to look at the trees and let the forest stay the same for livecode. Many of the discussions lately have been pretty esoteric and I could easily see where folks could get confused. Example: “how many items are in “x,x,x,” ?) or Is a number treated as a string or as a number, and when is it invisibly converted by the engine? I just think that the mantra of “English-like” is only partially applicable to livecode. Other languages have “English-like” syntaxes too, although their vocabulary and its application may be quite different. And, what about French speakers, Chinese speakers, etc, etc. I could go on, but …….

Anyway, have a great day (or evening, whatever the case may be).
Best,
Bill P