LC Server - Smart Interactive Fields?

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Sat Apr 22 18:04:40 EDT 2017

Rick Harrison wrote:

 > Hi Richard,
 >
 > I was afraid you’d say that!  LOL
 >
 > I think I’m stuck with JavaScript then according
 > to what you’ve explained here, and for what I
 > need to do.  A web app just won’t cut it.

Hopefully the O'Reilly book I linked to will help.  You might even come
to like JavaScript once you get this done.  It can be fun.

 > Thank you for investing your time into the verbose explanation.
 > I’m sure other users in addition to myself will find it useful.

I hope so too.  My longer posts aim to be helpful here, but also server
double-duty as notes I'm collecting for my LC book.

 > P.S.  I think LiveCode could make more money if they
 >         invested somewhat more into these other technologies.

It would be nice indeed, but it's a tough balancing act to find the
sweet spots where LC is truly great.

The web is so fundamentally different from the desktop that to be honest
if I were running the show I'm not sure I would have started down the
road toward the range of features aimed for with an Emscripten-based
HTML5 solution at all.

Other options are far more limited, but given the differences between
the web and the desktop maybe it's not so bad to aim low, for the small
practical intersection where desktop and web needs truly overlap.

The bottom line with browsers is that JavaScript got inside Netscape
first, so it's been All JavaScript All The Time ever since.

I'm not sure even the smartest move by a company LC's size could change
that.  My own focus would be to embrace it.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems