Downloads - Immodest Proposal

Curry Kenworthy curry at pair.com
Fri Apr 14 14:18:11 EDT 2017

Bob:
 > As a result, we have no business talking about how much they
 > should charge for licensing. I am up for renewal on the Indy
 > license. I am not well to do. I am balking at the price right
 > now. Still, I could use the non-comm version, but then I feel
 > like I am not contributing, so I am torn betwixt the two.

To promote LiveCode to various people, I would also love to see a lower
entry point on Indy or another closed source edition. Like you, I don't
presume to know or wish to control how the business should be run or
priced. But I've known and worked with enough people on smaller budgets
to have no doubt that price point affects some of us, and people have
very different situations and mindsets.

This has been discussed at great length before, the hobbyist and so on,
and it's so true that for many people the free version does the job.
Problem solved. For many others, having a business means their ducks are
sufficiently in a row that $999 is a no-brainer price. Even better. And
yes, it is an amazing price for all the technology and platforms included.

All true, and yet repeating these often enough can lead people to buy
into the fallacy that this covers the entire range of interested
LiveCode users. Unfortunately I happen to know that it doesn't. There
are people who have their own reasons for wanting something more than
free, but the current Indy price makes that a pretty big jump. Obviously
wannabe iOS publishers on a shoestring is one group, although there are
others I could name, including those with more proprietary ambition than
cash in the short term.

It's not my place to judge or defend these people and their reasons, any
more than LiveCode's decisions and their model. But I would still like
to have those people onboard, so I would love to see anything to that
end, such as an Indy special or perhaps another column in the price
continuum of free, ___, 1K, 2K. Lagi's point about impulse buys was
interesting too. So long as an edition reached those people I wouldn't
really mind which method it would use.

In your own particular case, if the open source version sufficed, you
could still voluntarily contribute a certain amount annually. But I
would hate to see anyone leave the Indy edition, which is my own
personal favorite!

No expectations of easy agreement, especially on this of all things. But
there's value in planting a seed now and then and seeing what other
people think too. The future will sort it all out. I've just burned
through another budget rather quickly, my public communication time, so
I'll duck back to work. I enjoyed the chat very much as always! Happy
coding. :)

Best wishes,

Curry Kenworthy
--
WordLib: Take charge of MS Word and OpenOffice documents
SpreadLib: "Excel-lent" spreadsheet import/export for LC