Downloads - Immodest Proposal

Richmond Mathewson richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Thu Apr 13 12:53:06 EDT 2017

On 4/13/17 7:44 pm, Curry Kenworthy via use-livecode wrote:

> > 'Confusion' being an understatement, it would have swiftly
> > caused shock and horror :)
> > Dave
>
> Yep. :) But there are good reasons for comparison. Swift was making an
> outrageous joke to draw attention to other actual proposals for the
> problems of his day.
>
> Right at the moment there may have been a dip in LC newbies (perhaps,
> judging from some imperfect indicators) and naturally there's a
> "hunger" to spread the word and get LC into the hands of interested
> people. Having a download as visible and easy as possible could be a
> realistic measure to help with part of that. Ditto for a very "swift"
> signup.
>
> So joking about it might go like: Whatever you do, don't show the
> uninitiated and uncouth masses of people your greatest treasure, that
> is, your downloads! You must keep those a secret altogether, or at
> least make people go through a satisfying number of steps first before
> they reach them, so only the elite will find them, being tested and
> purified, thus in the proper state of mind to appreciate the true
> quality of these executables. Never be tempted by frivolous appeals to
> reduce the number of steps or clicks in that process, or to start the
> download while they are verifying their email, or heaven forbid, to
> roll the signup into the installer. No, friends, the real answer has
> been right in front of us the whole time. All we need to do is get LC
> tattoos in, let's say, "modest" places. It flies under the radar, but
> really makes an impact when revealed in some situations. And you
> always know it's there, gives you secret empowerment all day.
> Something like that.
>
> You can see why I thought again and held off on that the first post!
>
> Anyway, I would say it's also just a tiny bit shocking

It's daft! And I have ALREADY made the point about the teeny-weeny green
Community button way at bottom-left of the page
to minimise the chance that anyone sees it.

BUT: don't tell the people at LiveCode centre that because they know
BETTER than anyone how to market something,
as one can see from the way the LC newbie number is dropping.

I have criticised the LiveCode web-site many times, as have many others;
and as far as I recall not once have the LiveCode
people admitted that a criticism might, just, possibly have a spot of
validity.

Of course elsewhere if someone never, ever admitted to having made a
misjudgement they'd be called "arrogant",
but you cannot do that with LiveCode because they pay good money to
marketing people to do their website, and they
cannot be seen admitting they might have got the wrong firm; Oh, and
they are perfect.

> to have no download links at all on the site. Have you seen the LC
> site lately? I could find no download links at all. None. There's the
> signup but it's a pretty roundabout process.

I raised it, Richard Gaskin agreed; what happens; sweet Football
Association.

> If I were a first-time visitor to the LC web site, I'm not sure
> whether I would have snagged a download by the end of my visit or not.
> That's why I posted.
>
> Best wishes,
>
> Curry K.

Richmond.