AW: vertical text?

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Wed Apr 12 15:13:06 EDT 2017

Roger Eller wrote:

 >> It's great when you truly need an embedded web browser, but for small
 >> one-offs like this I'd be reluctant to add the extra RAM and disk
 >> space requirements.
 >
 > This is really the first mention I've seen of the resource
 > requirements of certain widgets.

Most widgets use only what's in the LiveCode engine, and don't carry
much additional overhead beyond what we might expect for the respective
elements involved (images, code, etc.).

The browser widget is a very special case, since it's an entire browser
application embedded within your app.

On disk the Linux build of CEF takes up 135 MBs, and like any browser I
would imagine it more than doubles RAM requirements for an app using it.

When you need an embedded browser it's awesome.  It's just a lot to add
if you only need small things like rotated text, which can be handled
well with LC Script or LC Builder in same process your app is already
running in.

 > Assuming that overhead is minimal just because it is so
 > darn easy to add to a stack will be our downfall.  :)

macOS is so easy to use it must fit on a single floppy. :)

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems