Is there a technical difference between a RC and stable release?

Mark Waddingham mark at livecode.com
Wed Apr 5 03:20:15 EDT 2017

Hi Tiemo,

On 2017-04-05 08:25, Tiemo Hollmann TB via use-livecode wrote:
> What I actually don't know, is there any "technical" difference behind
> the
> scenes between a RC and a stable release? Is a RC just an approval
> state for
> any feedback from us and could go 1:1 into a stable release, if there
> are no
> serious new bugs? In other words, if I test my app with a RC and don't
> see
> any bugs, which affect my app, would it be the same for me to use a RC
> for
> an indy production, as a stable release or is there any technical
> difference
> behind the scenes or reason for not to use a RC?

A stable release is 'just' a renaming of the last RC of any sequence of
releases
for a given version - however, an RC might contain a regression
(introduced in
the RC) in which case there will be another RC either fixing the
regression
or reverting the patch which caused the regression.

In maintenance releases we try quite hard to minimize the impact of any
change which is made, so the general risk of regressions during an RC
cycle
should be quite low.

So, in general, if a build of your app with an RC goes through your
usual
testing procedures fine; then there should be no harm in using it in a
production release.

Indeed, people using RCs in production is actually very helpful for us
as
it increases general test coverage, increasing the chance of finding any
regressions (which actually affect production code) in it.

Hope this helps,

Mark.

LiveCode: Everyone can create apps