Single File Deploy on Windows?

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Mon Apr 3 19:13:11 EDT 2017

Dan Friedman wrote:

 > So, I deliver a single file for my LC standalones on Windows.  Any
 > required DLLs or other needed files are downloaded at runtime and put
 > in place on launch.  However, in LC 9.0.0 it seems there is a dll,
 > “tsNet.dll” that must be in place to even launch!  UG!!  Is there a
 > way to deploy a Windows EXE that is a single file?   For god’s sake,
 > please don’t make be use an installer!!

Long-term dream:  I would LOVE to see some way to embed externals within
the executable file the way SuperCard does (no, SC doesn't use the
resource fork; never did, everything is mapped in its data fork).  I'm
not sure why we can't, since AFAIK the code within a DLL is what's
important to LC, not necessarily that it exists in a physically separate
file, no?  I long to be able to return to truly stand-alone standalones.

Short-term reality: You can download via HTTP/HTTPS using only libURL,
no externals needed.  HTTPS will require the revSecurity DLL, but
conceivably (as I've done on one project) you could download that via
HTTP and then use it for anything needing HTTPS.

All that said, I think I've given up on the dream of stand-alone
standalones, and have gotten back to finishing my installer. Drag.  I
used to love sending people a single file they could just unzip-and-go.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems