Cheesed off by 32xxx

Curry Kenworthy curry at pair.com
Sun Apr 2 21:23:49 EDT 2017

Richmond say:

 > The problem, such as it is, is that the Unicode specifications
 > have 128 * 8703 slots for glyphs ... hence 8703 buttons.

Channeling Sensei again for fun - Does man with million chopsticks line
them all side by side, only one layer deep? He need very big custom
table, very expensive, no more bamboo or tree left for chopstick.

If you have 8703 buttons, must they all be lined up at once?

Again, by arranging the buttons in several groups of perhaps 800, you
could circumvent the 32K pixel limitation as you wished to do. A little
scrolling code creates the illusion that they are one big group, but
none of the edges are ever more than 32K from 0,0.

I have to advocate a field or a very small set of buttons instead, much
easier and huge advantages. We don't need thousands of buttons to
display the Unicode tables.

But focusing just on the 32K pixel issue, which could apply to other
situations, I think your 8703 * 23 approach should be doable! Only a
question of organization and arrangement. To the user it would look the
same as if it were one big group.

Best wishes,

Curry K.

LiveCode Training and Consulting