[OT] Looking for a statistic

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Wed Sep 28 17:16:06 EDT 2016

Miker Kerner wrote:

 > Richard Gaskin wrote:
 >> What percentage of desktop users' time is spent in a browser?
 >
 > Among my employees, it is definitely primarily browser action.  Even
 > the folks who are running some desktop app or another, including
 > terminal emulators to get into the ERP software, do most of their
 > work in a browser.  We installed Google Docs waaaay back when it was
 > in beta, so there is no office app running.  Material management is
 > a good example of the difference in platforms.  Our desktop users are
 > almost always in a browser, so we have an LC app that we wrote that
 > extracts data from our ERP software to update various Google
 > spreadsheets to keep them (and our customers) up-to-the-minute on the
 > status of inventory/production schedules/shipments/etc., but on our
 > handhelds, we do the same thing in an app.

Thanks, Mike.

That may reflect why this stat is so hard to find for the desktop, but
unavoidably easy to find for mobile:  the desktop offers such a broader,
richer variety of things people do that the range of answers to that
question may be equally broad.

I suspect on the whole you're onto something, that browser use is far
more prevalent on the desktop than on mobile.

As a developer, I find it depends on what I'm working on: some weeks my
browser time is much smaller if I'm making OS-native apps than those
weeks when I'm working on a web app.

And my graphic artist friends tend to spend a very large percentage of
their time in graphics tools I never touch, and far less time in
browsers than others on their teams who do development.

When my wife was working with teachers she spent more time in a browser
by virtue of an organizational preference for GMail and Google Docs.
Today she's doing much of the same work but less directly with the orgs
she supports, so time that used to be in those web apps is now in
Thunderbird and LibreOffice.

Given the breadth of workflows the desktop supports, a single stat may
not be possible to find.  But hopefully I'll be able to turn up an
average somewhere.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems