[ANN] This Week in LiveCode 52

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Tue Sep 27 09:39:47 EDT 2016

Alejandro Tejada wrote:

 > Richard Gaskin wrote:
 >
 >> Of particular interest to me was this item:
 >> Research presented at ICER2016 showed lower overall cognitive
 >> load for LiveCode developers
 >> http://dl.acm.org/citation.cfm?doid=2960310.2960321
 >> Unfortunately that article is behind the ACM's paywall.
 >> Anyone here know if that article is also available through a
 >> publicly-accessible source?
 >
 > When I was suscribed to ISTE and IEEE, one of the most useful services
 > they offered was access to many paywalled libraries and documents.

I've been a member of ACM and other orgs off and on for many years, with
access to their publications being a key draw.  ACM Interactions
magazine remains one of the finest periodicals in the UX field.

But in recent years it occurred to me that much of the research I'm most
interested in is done at universities that receive subsidies, grants,
tax breaks, and other forms of public money, so it seems reasonable that
the public should have access to the research they're paying to support.

Seems I'm not alone - here in California we've begun enacting provisions
for this:
<http://sparcopen.org/our-work/ab609/>

There's interest in expanded that on the US federal level:
<https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2015/10/fastr-ensures-publicly-funded-research-belongs-public>

The EU appears to be seeking an arguably broader mandate by 2020:
<https://www.engadget.com/2016/05/28/europe-horizon-2020-research-open-access/>

This may represent a hardship for some orgs whose membership is driven
by publication access.  But we understand that the Internet is a
disruptive force which eases distribution of electronic media,
compelling all media toward disintermediation.  These orgs will need to
seek out new ways to deliver value for their members, or perhaps be
replaced by new alternatives more with the flow of our modern times.

In the end we find the tragedy of Aaron Swartz' legal problems were
ultimately merely that he was several years ahead of his time.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems