ANN: new glx2 script editor now on line

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Mon Sep 26 10:29:05 EDT 2016

Mike Kerner wrote:

 > On Sat, Sep 24, 2016 at 2:10 PM, Mark Wieder wrote:
 >
 >> On 09/24/2016 06:17 AM, Mike Kerner wrote:
 >>
 >>> So what would it take to get a bunch of glx2's features rolled into
 >>> the SE so we have one SE instead of two?  Theming, folding,
 >>> breadcrumbs, folders, revisions all are things that would be good
 >>> to add to the SE, and it would make it more compelling to have a
 >>> single SE project.
 >>
 >> Well, I see that Bernd has issued a pull request for code folding,
 >> so that should be on its way soon. And the glx2 script editor is
 >> totally open source, so feel free to grab and use any code in there.
 >>

 > The problem is that without understanding it, we're going to be at a
 > distinct time disadvantage.  I just went through that trying to fix a
 > couple of things in the documentation rendering, this week.  I spent
 > a lot of hours having to learn how it worked, because nobody else
 > knew.

If nobody else knew, nobody else could have documented that knowledge. :)

Given the SE's central role in the IDE, it's an exciting prospect for
community contribution.  And given the nature of its role, it's also one
of the more complex components in the IDE, and one which is in nearly
continual flux as the core team continues working on it in each version.

For these reasons it may be helpful to consider a path forward like the
one Bernd chose:  pick one feature, work with the core team to implement
it, and submit that pull request, then move on to the next feature.

This will help ensure that each new feature is robustly implemented
before we move on to the next one, and along the way each new feature
multiplies the knowledge of the IDE landscape so each subsequent
opportunity becomes ever easier.

As things progress we may even find someone in our community with the
intersection of interest, time, and ability to begin drafting a guide to
working on the IDE, making the work ever easier for others as well.

Of the features listed above ("theming, folding, breadcrumbs, folders"),
which of those has both the highest value to the user and/or is the
easiest to implement?

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems