The Achilles heel of Android and iOS

Kay C Lan lan.kc.macmail at gmail.com
Sat Sep 24 00:31:38 EDT 2016

On Fri, Sep 23, 2016 at 8:13 AM, Alejandro Tejada
<capellan2000 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Buying a NEW PHONE or Tablet is almost like
> BURNING MONEY, just for the fun of it.
>
> Just imagine this (not so far away) scenario:
>
> For any reason, people stop jumping in line
> to buy the latest and greatest phone or tablet
> and prefer to wait... and wait... just for a few weeks
> or even a few months (because time flies
> when you are busy),

Yes and I have a crystal ball that tells me exactly when that is going
to happen...

1st sign - the fashion industry disappears. Men and women no longer
feel it's necessary to wear 'this season's fashion'. Designer shoe
shops all disappear because no one needs Jimmy Chu's any more, a
sensible pair of last year's pumps from Target will do just fine.

2nd sign - economical city cars, not SUVs (small trucks to the rest of
the world) become America's most popular vehicle purchase. Men in
particular no longer base their car purchasing preferences on the size
of their genitalia.

3rd sign - Facebook, twitter, instagram and their ilk all fade into
oblivion because no one feels the need to advertise to the world how
great their life is, and what wonderful things they have, and how many
more friends they have.

4th sign - the nightly news is predominately filled with feel good
stories about individual random acts of altruism, especially to those
of different race, religion, social or economic background.

5th and final sign - the world is in a massive depression that makes
the 'Great Depression' look like a short period of austerity. Even so,
people will be buying the latest and greatest with money they don't
have right up until everything collapses around them and ONLY when no
one will accept their CREDIT cards will they be FORCED to stop buying.

But just to be clear, even after that day, if Apple is only 10% the
size of what it is now, or maybe gone all together, someone somewhere
will have to buy something that is better than what you or I have to
prove that they are better than you or I.

PS saw an excellent video of a couple of guys who went out to gauge
user response to the new iPhone 7 the day it was officially announced
- even though it wasn't actually available.

One guy would ask people in the street if they had an iPhone 6 and if
they'd like to try the iPhone 7, and if Yes, he told them that a new
feature was the ability to very quickly migrate ALL user data to the
iPhone 7 at which point he'd hand it to his colleague to do the
transfer. Whilst this was happening the interviewer would ask the
owner a couple of questions whilst the 'technician' simply cleaned the
iPhone 6, removed the case and put a new one on. They'd then hand back
the 6 to the owner who was 'amazed' at their data was all just there
so quickly. And yes, many owners thought the iPhone 7 was smoother and
brighter - cleaning, who'd have thought; but many also liked the
lighter feel and faster response???

And you wonder why people are so eager to go out a buy the latest and
greatest when they can't even tell the difference with what they've
already got. It's not about the phone/shoes/handbag/car, it's about
the perception of 'the haves' vs 'the have nots'.