What's everyone working on this month? (September 2016)

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Mon Sep 19 17:17:46 EDT 2016

NFC is a subset of RFID. Virtually all new-ish Android devices support
NFC; at least those made in the last three or four years. Apple Pay is
also NFC so phones that support Apple Pay will also have NFC capability,
but I am unsure whether Apple has locked down the feature to only work
with Apple Pay or whether it can be used in other apps.

Android currently supports at least these tag types:

- NTAG 203, 210, 212, 213, 215, 216
- Topaz 512 (BCM512)
- Ultralight, Ultralight C
- MIFARE Classic 1k, 4k
- FeliCa

I use an Android app called NFC Tools to read and write tags. Newer
versions of Android OS also allow NFC tags to be used with SmartLock,
which unlocks the lockscreen when the tag is tapped.