Debugging LCB programs [was: What's everyone working on this month?]

Peter TB Brett peter.brett at livecode.com
Mon Sep 19 10:08:57 EDT 2016

On 02/09/2016 10:51, Alex Tweedly wrote:

> But in the end I found the programming experience in LCB just too
> frustrating.
>
> I've been spoiled :-)  I'm used to symbolic, interactive debuggers -
> been using them pretty much continually for the last 45 years that I've
> been programming, starting with DDT and a proprietary one in the 70s, on
> to GDB in the 80s and 90s, then interpreted languages for a little
> while, before finally moving up to Revolution / Livecode.
> And after trying it for a while, I'm just not willing to go back to the
> dark ages and program in LCB without a decent toolset that provides
> really effective diagnostics and debugging features.

Hey Alex,

I agree with you!  It would be great to have a good debugger for LCB.
Unfortunately, due to the way that LCB works, it would need to be an
out-of-process debugger, and this is a lot of work that I've not yet had
the time to poke at.

My current idea (that I've not yet had time to poke at) is to write a
GDB extension in Guile Scheme that can print LCB stack frames
interleaved with C/C++ stack frames.

There's some documentation here:

https://sourceware.org/gdb/onlinedocs/gdb/Guile.html#Guile

And there's an example for V8 here: