UVC Video Framke Capture

Jim MacConnell jmac at consensustech.com
Thu Sep 15 14:15:40 EDT 2016

I think I know the answer but thought I'd ask anyway..... It's no, btw  :(

I'm using a webcam to capture images that I then analyze for feature type, location and legibility. The system has to run on Windows for the foreseeable future.

I need higher resolution than the 720p webcam I started with in order to discriminate some items I was looking for so I ordered a nice 5 Meg USB cam from Amazon.  It turns out I didn’t do enough due diligence and it uses UVC rather than VFW (which supposedly is now obsolete?).

While I should be able to use a different tool to capture and store the image which I can then open from LC, I'd much prefer to have everything self-contained in my LC app.

Questions:
1) Has anyone developed an external that interfaces with a UVC camera?
2) Are there any plans to update the revVideo library to work with UVC?
3) Has anyone dealt with this issue before and have any pointers?
4) With the move to AVFoundation on LC for OSX, is QT a dead-end? I have control over the machines I'm using so could install whatever I need so could install QT but if QT is going away then that's not a long term solution.