Project Browser Allows you to move a group into another group

Sannyasin Brahmanathaswami brahma at hindu.org
Tue Sep 13 11:19:38 EDT 2016

I am not able to reproduce this, this morning after a fresh reboot of LC.

If I create new stack, create two groups with multiple objects and move one group into the other group, I can move it out again in the PB… I can also relayer objects in the property inspector and "fresh just out of the box" LC IDE and PB behave as expected. the PB is updated.

<mini-rant>
This goes to the overall problem I have experienced from the beginning with LC8.*…. as you use the IDE.. over time, mysterious things start happening in the background.

I have no recipe, but the overall symptom seems to be that in many different contexts, conditions start to arise where some IDE messages stop being passed, or IDE globals/locals that should be updated, are not… I was studying some past posts by Allie, where he discusses the new methods for revIDELibrary "catching" messages etc.. in the effort to encapsulate IDE functions etc…I think there is some flaw deep in that framework…

Here are just a few… I should start keeping a list.. and, as I watch this use list… I see others are report things that might just go away if they rebooted LC and tried again… (to be tested, your mileage may vary)

--  the Project Browser stops listening to changes in the Project inspector.
-- The project inspector doesn't open from any contextual window.
-- Choose Card Script from the menu does nothing… SE does not open.
-- option-command click on an object will not invoke the SE/script for that object.
-- Editing script of an object in the PB opens the tab for a script of a different object in the SE
- preopenstack issued from the message box with a top stack open that has even a simple

on preopenstack
    answer "hello" with "OK"
end preopenstack

does not fire

-- in the message box you type something like

resetGUI  (a command in your stack script)
and the msg box updates itself with

put resetGUI

# without firing your command.

-- LC mysteriously opens an IDE stack breaking on some error deep in the IDE stack frame work "something went wrong on line 1867 of revWhatever.livecodescript"

-- use of some plugins that used to work  are simply out of the question. at one time they did not interfere.. .now we find code breaking inside scripts of plugins… an error message and SE will open a tab with a script for a plug in today, that worked just fine two hours ago and yesterday…

-- the script editor has a mind of it's own now… suddenly you have a failure because

"end resetGUI"  # has become

"nd resetGUI"  # and you were no where near that line with your cursor!  the SE just chopped of char 1 of the end of a handler (I experienced this many times in the past three days)

There are many more such failures that start piling up that

It can get extremely frustrating to the point of ones love of LC turning a bit sour (I hear this from some others off list too… it's not just me)… you live with the anxiety that something you are trying to debug actually has nothing to do with one's own code/stacks/scripts…

I've come to the point where my prompt

 "Stand up and Stretch" has become

"Stand up and stretch; Save all stacks, close all stacks manually and reboot LC" on the hour every hour.

These issues are so opaque/numerous that trying to report them is out of the question… otherwise you will not get any work done.  You just have to "bite the bullet" reboot and keep going…

</end mini-rant>

I realize this "recipeless" report is not as helpful as a singular issue report, but my gut it telling me that there is probably something deep in the IDE framework that may be the underlying cause for *all* these issues.

I wonder if we could turn on some log thing and instead of reporting each failure.. .we work for a week and then send in the log?

BR

PS on the positive side, I just learned how to use getprop to fire/listen for virtual property. So you can have an object "broadcast" an "agnostic" event and different scripts and contexts can handle that in different ways. Awesome!  How many solutions I have struggled with that now are solvable with this!  It would be great to do a big lesson-demo on various uses of this for newbies… it's a bit opaque/esoteric…