Threading (plus random question)

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Fri Sep 9 10:57:06 EDT 2016

Mark Wieder wrote:
> On 09/08/2016 09:40 AM, Richard Gaskin wrote:
>
>> Control-Tab is handy on a Mac, but the rest of the world has been using
>> it to switch applications for nearly two decades.
>
> That's alt-tab. (Command-tab on macs).

Indeed it is.  My bad.

Ctrl-Tab is used for navigation, and these days only at the application
level, e.g. switching between tabs in a browser, or between worksheets
in a spreadsheet, or between open documents in Visual Studio.

In the older Windows MDI UI it was the the OS-provided shortcut for
moving between sub-windows within the parent window.  But thankfully MDI
was retired long ago and nothing anyone needs to think about today.

Since modern use seems to be application-defined, the only conflict we
have is with its current use in LiveCode:  as with browsers, the LC
Script Editor supports Ctrl-Tab to switch left-to-right between tabs
(with Ctrl-Shift-Tab to navigate right-to-left between tabs)

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems