What's everyone working on this month? (September 2016)

Tore Nilsen tore.nilsen at me.com
Fri Sep 2 17:33:53 EDT 2016

The academic year has just started here in Norway, and I have just finished a preliminary edition of a digital textbook about using LiveCode in the subject “Information Technology 2”, for my students. The textbook covers all the objectives in the national curriculum with explanations and examples of how to use LiveCode in this particular course. The textbook currently has 15 chapters, most of them completed, but the final edition will see two or three chapters added to the book. I am on a path to have a final version ready by Christmas, as an iBook. The plan is to transfer all this stuff into a standalone application, built in LiveCode of course, in time for next year. This version will have som added benefits, as it will allow me to link directly to downloadable example scripts and stacks, that can easily be changed/updated, without the need for a complete update of the book.

I am also working on a couple of small applications for my English students. One will be a “private dictionary”, where they will add words and phrases they come across during their studies, in order to expand their vocabulary. They will be able to add words and phrases along with explanations and links to the sources where they found the words and/or the explanations of the words.

I am also working on a small “Notes and tasks” application, where they will write their own notes from their studies, as well as answers to written or oral tasks. This application will let them export their notes or tasks as rtf-files/ or sound files and hand in through our LMS as links. I also have plans for a third application which will be a collection of phrasal verbs and idioms. I guess this will be finished by Christmas and ready for my students in the last term. (We have just two terms in the academic year in Norway.

Tore