Failed to load external error

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Thu Sep 1 15:15:19 EDT 2016

Due to an audio bug fix we needed, we were forced to compile and release
an app using 8.1rc1. Some Windows users are regularly receiving the
error "failed to load external" when the app launches. This renders the
app useless.

So far we have heard from both Windows 7 and Windows 10 users. The
external folder in the app contains revBrowser.dll and tsNet.dll.

Does anyone know why this would happen? The externals are obviously
there (we got screen shots) so I assume they are being found. Could
virus scanners block this? Are there any other reasons?

It would be nice if the error message would tell us which external
wouldn't load. Right now the students who use the app are pretty pissed
off because they can't complete their assignments.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com