Autodiscovery of LAN devices

Bob Sneidar bobsneidar at iotecdigital.com
Thu Oct 27 18:49:28 EDT 2016

Unless network devices are listening through their firewall, this can prove difficult. Spiceworks has a network scanner system that is extremely robust, you may want to look into how they do that. Basically, you can attempt to connect using WMIC on Windows, SSL on *nix systems, snmp for printers, switches, etc. and HTTP if all else fails.

To do this however, you need credentials to actually get any detailed information. Windows is about as friendly a thing as you are going to find. You can find out a lot about a Windows workstation without administrative credentials. Apple, almost nothing. Printers, whatever you need essentially, using SNMP traps.

If all you want to know is who is listening on what ports, telnet works pretty good. something like telnet 192.168.1.5 25 will tell you if something is listening on SMTP for example. It's just a matter of knowing all the standard ports and scanning for them.

But LC does not seem to be the ideal thing for this. Instead, you may want to look into nmap. They have command line features for doing exactly what you want, minus the actual connection bit.

Bob S