AW: What do I have to prepare if enabling Hi-DPI scaling for Win standalone?

Tiemo Hollmann TB toolbook at kestner.de
Thu Oct 27 09:43:57 EDT 2016

I have a customer, who complained that everything in my program, including
the text looks so blurred. I made some tests with an Dell Inspiron notebook,
which hasn't a Hi-DPI display, but a very crispy 1920x1080 display and
compared a main window of one of my LC programs, once compiled with LC 6.7
and once with LC 8.1 and the Hi-DPI option on.

Since this isn't a Hi-DPI display, probably the option has no influence and
both programs look pretty similar and sharp. But since 1920 x 1080 is pretty
small on a 13'' display, most users of such kind computers set the text size
system setting to 150% (as also recommended by Dell). Running this crispy
display at 150% text size, "all other programs still look fine and crispy",
but the comparison of my both program versions show pretty different
results. My LC 6.7 program blown up to 150% by the system rendering looks
completely blurred, every text and all bitmap images look smooth, but
blurred. - This is obviously that what my customer was seeing.

Due to the new rendering machine of LC 8.1 (or was it already 7?), all text
in my LC program looks sharp and fine, as in the other programs. BUT, my
bitmap images (some with text inside) look terrible. In opposite to LC 6 all
edges in the bitmap images look sharp, but pixeled and stepped and actually
worse as in LC 6.

Since this isn't a thing of Hi-DPI, I am not sure if and what I could do, to
make this better. Is LC already vector image ready for all cases (plain
image on screen, image as button icon, image in text?) Beside this is pretty
much work for me, to re-design all images as vector images, I am not sure,
if this is the only solution, or if I could get back the smooth and little
blurred appearance of my bitmap images, like in LC 6 with any trick?

How do you handle this?
Tiemo