AW: How do I codesign an App?

Tiemo Hollmann TB toolbook at kestner.de
Wed Oct 26 10:35:00 EDT 2016

Well said

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: use-livecode [mailto:use-livecode-bounces at lists.runrev.com] Im Auftrag
von Richard Gaskin
Gesendet: Mittwoch, 26. Oktober 2016 16:25
An: use-livecode at lists.runrev.com
Betreff: Re: How do I codesign an App?

Paul Dupuis wrote:

 > Isn't code signing platform specific? Meaning, don't you have to code  >
sign a OSX Standalone on OSX and code sign a Windows standalone on  >
Windows?

 > I would eagerly second adding code signing to the IDE if it could be  >
done cross platform. I.e. if I develop under Windows, I could sign the  >
OSX and Windows standalones I build OR if I develop under OSX, I could  >
code sign BOTH the Windows and OSX standalones (with different  >
certificates of course)

 From time to time we need platform-specific features.  This could be merely
one more.

Ultimately there's one super-feature that determines the value of all other
features:  the line between "I want to make an app" and "I just shipped an
app!".  The shorter and less painful that line, the more value LiveCode has.

So when we evaluate possible features it can be helpful to think of them in
terms of pain point magnitude:  how many people find it frustrating to not
have it, and just how frustrating is it?

Code signing, and packaging for iOS, are horribly time-wasting, hair-pulling
activities that require a disproportionate amount of research and
experimentation to finally get them right.  They're serious bottlenecks to
professional deployment, among the biggest pain points we face.

These aren't failings of LiveCode, but they may well be opportunities for
LiveCode, to provide a level of usability for those tools currently absent
from the respective OS vendors.

After all, isn't that ultimately what LiveCode is all about, making it
easier to ship apps than by using OS-vendor-preferred solutions?

Even if it were necessary to implement those features in a way that could
only be used on certain platforms, I'd chip in for this.  I've seen too many
sad and frustrated posts from even experienced coders not to want to see
this pain point go away.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems