How do I codesign an App?

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Wed Oct 26 10:25:18 EDT 2016

Paul Dupuis wrote:

 > Isn't code signing platform specific? Meaning, don't you have to code
 > sign a OSX Standalone on OSX and code sign a Windows standalone on
 > Windows?
 >
 > I would eagerly second adding code signing to the IDE if it could be
 > done cross platform. I.e. if I develop under Windows, I could sign the
 > OSX and Windows standalones I build OR if I develop under OSX, I could
 > code sign BOTH the Windows and OSX standalones (with different
 > certificates of course)

 From time to time we need platform-specific features.  This could be
merely one more.

Ultimately there's one super-feature that determines the value of all
other features:  the line between "I want to make an app" and "I just
shipped an app!".  The shorter and less painful that line, the more
value LiveCode has.

So when we evaluate possible features it can be helpful to think of them
in terms of pain point magnitude:  how many people find it frustrating
to not have it, and just how frustrating is it?

Code signing, and packaging for iOS, are horribly time-wasting,
hair-pulling activities that require a disproportionate amount of
research and experimentation to finally get them right.  They're serious
bottlenecks to professional deployment, among the biggest pain points we
face.

These aren't failings of LiveCode, but they may well be opportunities
for LiveCode, to provide a level of usability for those tools currently
absent from the respective OS vendors.

After all, isn't that ultimately what LiveCode is all about, making it
easier to ship apps than by using OS-vendor-preferred solutions?

Even if it were necessary to implement those features in a way that
could only be used on certain platforms, I'd chip in for this.  I've
seen too many sad and frustrated posts from even experienced coders not
to want to see this pain point go away.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems