Wondering about iOS background tasks

William Prothero waprothero at gmail.com
Mon Oct 3 13:17:10 EDT 2016

Folks:
My currently finished app needs to run continuously, as it must play a series of audio files. I found that, in iOS, audio will play when the app goes to the background, but the app is only completing the current audio file and the next one isn’t loaded, because the app isn’t really running.  I solved this by setting mobileLockIdleTimer. This keeps the app in the front and it is what I want. Problem solved.

But, in the CreateIT course, one of the lessons is to build a clock. Given my understanding of how iOS apps behave when in the background, I don’t see how an alarm could be initiated if the app goes to the background. I read on this list that Apple doesn’t allow apps to run in the background, but every app that puts out some kind of an alarm or notification must be running in some way.

Does anybody have any info that would enlighten me on this subject?

 Best,
Bill

William A. Prothero
http://es.earthednet.org/