AW: LC 9 has all the improvements of the LC 8.1 series, yes?

Tiemo Hollmann TB toolbook at kestner.de
Tue Nov 29 08:25:01 EST 2016

Thanks Peter & Panos

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: use-livecode [mailto:use-livecode-bounces at lists.runrev.com] Im Auftrag
von Peter TB Brett
Gesendet: Dienstag, 29. November 2016 14:21
An: How to use LiveCode <use-livecode at lists.runrev.com>
Betreff: Re: LC 9 has all the improvements of the LC 8.1 series, yes?

On 29/11/2016 13:15, Tiemo Hollmann TB wrote:
> And additionally I would like to know, what caused a new first number?
> Why not 8.2? What is the relevant change to make a new major version?
> Concerning compatibility?

Hi Tiemo,

 From LiveCode 9 onwards, we will use a simplified numbering scheme:

- If we add anything new or make any backward-incompatible change:
increment first number, reset second number to 0

- If we fix bugs in a backwards-compatible way: keep first number, increment
second number

I explained this in the blog post that I wrote about the LiveCode 9 DP 1
release: https://livecode.com/whats-new-in-livecode-9-dp-1/

The new features in LiveCode 9 will include Infinite LiveCode capability,
with _at least_ the ability to integrate LCB code directly with Java
libraries (such as Android APIs).

                                                       Peter

--
Dr Peter Brett <peter.brett at livecode.com> LiveCode Technical Project Manager