Serving Videos with LC/iRev

Rick Harrison harrison at all-auctions.com
Sun Nov 27 10:37:28 EST 2016

Hi Mark,

Well I was trying to talk in black-box terms here, but I can
see that isn’t sufficient information for you as inquiring
minds always want to know.  It really shouldn’t hurt if
I reveal the third party anyway.

I have an enhanced eBook with an embedded video in it.
I was able to publish it to Apple’s iTunes store in the EPub 3
format just fine, without having to resort to using
iBooks Author to create the book.  The plus side of
that is I don’t have an exclusive obligation to Apple
if I do it that way, and I can publish the book elsewhere.

So the next good place to publish the eBook would be
to Amazon.com <http://amazon.com/>.  Unfortunately, they want their books
to use the .mobi format.  That format does not allow
embedded content such as videos etc.  You have only
one way to share enhanced content and that’s by
giving out a URL link to one’s web content.  That
URL is a fixed link in the book once it’s published,
and will always go to the same place.

So yes, I could painfully decide not to publish to
Amazon.com <http://amazon.com/> but I’d rather not have to not use them
as they are pretty big.  Now you can understand
my problem and my attempted solution.

Thank you for your input!

Rick