Updating Text-Script Only Stacks in Run-Time, Message Path Memory

Mark Waddingham mark at livecode.com
Mon Nov 7 04:36:41 EST 2016

On 2016-11-05 16:04, Sannyasin Brahmanathaswami wrote:
> But, am I the only on that thinks this is odd behavior? If I am right,
> doesn't it break the "write, run with no compile" principle of
> LiveCode?  If I edit the script of a binary stack, those changes are
> immediately implemented. Should it not be the same for script only
> stacks?

No it is not odd behavior.

No it doesn't break the edit-run live - since you haven't edited the
stack within the engine you have loaded it into. (e.g. Open a binary
stackfile into two instances of the IDE, edit in one and save and
observe that the changes don't appear in the other instance of the IDE.)

Yes it is the same behavior as binary stackfiles - binary/script only
stackfiles only affect how the stack is saved on disk and absolutely
nothing else.

Upshot: Don't expect editing a script-only stackfile outside of the
engine it is loaded into to do anything different from a binary
stackfile in the same situation.

> OK, so given the current behavior, assuming I'm not missing something
> simple, do we have to manually re-issue a "start using stack
> "preferences.livecodescript" every time we edit it's script?

No - you have to delete and reload the stack if you edit it's script
outside of the engine it is loaded into - just as you would with a
binary stackfile.

The point here is that the purpose of script-only stackfiles is purely
that of storage - storage in a form which means they work well with
version control such as git.

Certainly, you can edit them in text editors outside the IDE; and for
some things that can be more convenient. However doing so is no
different from loading a stackfile into an IDE and editing it there.

Warmest Regards,

Mark.

LiveCode: Everyone can create apps